One of my goals is to make a vegan meal that my brother in law, Brian, will eat. Like a lot of people I know he is not interested in most of the stuff I make. The other week I decided to try to conquor this difficult task and with some recommendation from my sister went with a Strawberry Cheesecake – vegan style.
1 1/2 cups vegan graham cracker crumbs – watch out most have honey in them. Also I had to get crackers and then break them up.
1/3 cup soy margarine, melted
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar or natural sweetener
Two 12 oz packages firm tofu, drained
One 8 oz package vegan cream cheese
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 tablespoon water
2 to 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced
1. Preheat over to 350 F. Oil 9-inch springform pan.
2. In food processor blend crackers till they are crumbs with soy margarine and the 1 tablespoon of sugar. transfer to pan and press to bottom of pan. Bake 5 min the set aside.
3. In food processor add tofu and cream cheese till smooth. Add 1 cup of sugar and vanilla and process again till smooth. Pour onto the crust in the pan and bake till firm, about 40 minutes. Turn the oven off and let it sit inside for another 30 minutes.
4. Remove, let cool. and then refrigerate for a few hours.
5. While cake is cooling off combine the jam and water in a saucepan over medium heat till smooth, set aside.
6. Once cake is chilled place the strawberries on top and then apply the glaze.